Friday, January 9, 2009

Thomas update - Friday January 9th

Its easy to take things for granted and get swept up in good news. Its at this point that I find myself. I'm trying to temper my excitement and confidence about things, because I know its still a long fight, and there is still so much that can and will happen in the coming months. For the moment though, I will revel in what has been a pretty darn good week for Thomas.

The biggest thing, the one that I didn't really want to address on the blog, because we just didn't know what to expect was the neural scan which occurred today. With babies being born this young there is a high likelihood for hemmoraging in the brain, especially during birth. There are 4 stages of severity, with the 4th meaning likely mental issues. We had worried about this all week and I'm happy to say that they found no hemmoraging. He's by no means out of the woods and they will continue to test him, but this was a very big milestone.

Second, Thomas' days of fake baking are behind him. He's just savage enough that they have taken off the photo lamps. Which means he's progressing along.

Third, there does not appear to be an infection, but they are waiting a couple days to stabilize his platlets, so perhaps Sunday.

Fourth, Thomas' other grandparents (my mommy and daddy) are here, so he's getting lots of love and attention.

All in all, a good week. There is still alot of development and growth that needs to occur before we can let out the breath we're holding, but we're one week down and going strong.

3 comments:

  1. All this is ***SUCH*** wonderful news Mike and Rebecca! John, Kiki, Jeb, and Kiki's friend Grace are all here with me (Aunt Leeann) hovering over and looking at the videos and reading your update. Keep up the good work Thomas! Hello to Nana and Papa and, of course your folks too Rebecca. It's great to know Mr. T is getting smothered in grandparent affection. Our love to all of you.

    Aunt Leeann

    Aunt Leeann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leeann ... I think you may have coined his first nick name!! MR. T!!! I can't wait to get him some gold chains and mohawk!!

    Aunt Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great news! Thank you for posting the updates- we're keeping you guys and your families in our thoughts and prayers and are so happy to learn of Thomas' progress!

    ReplyDelete