Friday, January 30, 2009

Ask Thomas

Hi, and welcome once again to Ask Thomas, a question and answer column, where I, Thomas, a baby in the NICU, bring my weeks of experience and life knowledge to the table to answer your questions and solve life's problems. OK, well let's get right to it.

Our first question comes from Leigh Ann V. from Alexandria, Va. She asks:

I don't understand the Kangaroo Care thing, can you explain what this is?

Good question Leigh Ann. Kangaroo care is a method employed in the NICU to create a bond between a resident of the NICU (a baby) and the parents. Basically the parent holds the baby on their exposed chest. This provides warmth and a direct connection between the parent and the child. Typically this starts out once a day for an hour, depending on how the baby does. In the future, the length and the number of times will go up. So the parent has to wear a button down shirt or a shirt with a zipper. My dad wore a bike jersey the other night. I thought it looked cool. Here's a video of me being moved from the Isolet to my mom's chest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh-uA63TgDY

Our second question comes from Joe J, who lives north of Dallas (not sure why). He asks:

Hi Thomas. I have trouble with the ladies. Can you help me out?

Joe, first let me say, I hear you brother, women are tough to figure out. I could tell you some stories. But let me suggest one thing, be confident. Women smell desperation. Treat them with respect and be honest. If none of that works, just lie down and act completely helpless. Its working awesome for me, I've got women all over me 24/7. I could have gotten up and walked out of here 2 weeks ago, but I'm milking this gig for as long as I can. Hope that helps.

Finally Winston from Wala Wala, Washington writes:

What's a henweigh?

About 2 pounds.

Until next time, keep those questions coming.
I'm Thomas. Peace out!

3 comments:

  1. It is hard to believe that Thomas is 4 weeks old and will be a month old on Monday.
    He looks so good in the arms of his Mommy and Daddy....and they look like very happy parents!
    Does Daddy have Thomas entered in any Super Bowl pools? Maybe Thomas was practicing the refs call for a touch down!
    Love to all,
    Louise and Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael (and family!),

    Know that we are out here reading and praying for you guys. We can't wait to meet Thomas at some point in the future.

    Love,
    Mike, Hope and Kate Hartman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Thomas,

    Do chicks like Fritos Brand Corn Chips and Robot Chicken like I do? I am pretty sure that if there was a fragrance that mixed the two and was marketed by Larry Bird, that I would buy it. Not to wear though, just to worship.

    All my love,

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete