Saturday, January 17, 2009

Back Home

Arrived back in Dallas last night and went straight to the hospital for a little father/son bonding. This was the first time I'd visited Thomas by myself. So we played catch, talked about what he wanted to be when he grew up and began sketching out the design for his tattoo sleeve.

First the important stuff, he's still doing good, not particularly cooperating (which bodes well for Rebecca in the years to come). The blood pressure sleeve that turned his toes blue on his left foot, did the same on his right, so they tossed out that plan. It really isn't critical to monitor him constantly anymore, so they are checking it once an hour.

Rebecca's sister, Aunt Leigh, made her triumphant debut, and along with Me Ann and Rebecca, was treated to a bonus as they raised the roof and lowered the isolet so that they could really get close and hang out with Thomas. (Videos will be up shortly) Unlike the unfortunate incident with our rabbit, there were no injuries.

As I mentioned this was the first time I visited alone, and I wasn't crazy about it. Mostly because I didn't have Rebecca there to talk to and comfort(which keeps me busy and doesn't let my mind wander), and since Thomas refused to open up and engage me in a debate on the pros and cons of a college football playoff, all I could do was stand there watching every reading from the monitors and corresponding movement from Thomas. It was a frustrating and helpless feeling. Readings would dip and rise and Thomas has alot of tubes to contend with, so sometimes (especially when he's just not in the mood) he looks less than peaceful. So standing there, I wanted the nurse to be singularly attentive to every dip and alarm. which is stupid and unrealistic, but hey, I'm a parent, I can be stupid and unrealistic. But I kept my thoughts to myself and just screamed inside my head.

I do want to say that the nurses are truly amazing. They work 3 12-hour work days in a row and are responsible for 2 children. They are given immense responsibility and it appears they have significant authority to make decisions. It is clear that they all get very attached to the children they take care of. I can't imagine the burden this is. So I just want to acknowledge that they are awesome in case I ever act otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment