Friday, April 3, 2009

A plea for Help

Let me make this short and then I’ll get into more of an explanation.

If you care for Thomas, please click on this link http://www.marchforbabies.org/melliot22 and donate $5 or $10 to the March for Babies.

If you care for children in general and have 6 hours a month, sign up to be a big brother or big sister. http://www.bbbs.org/site/c.diJKKYPLJvH/b.1539751/k.BDB6/Home.htm

OK that was a little melodramatic, but here are two very good causes that I want to promote. Why am I hitting you up for these seemingly unrelated, but equally deserving charities? Well, the first one is probably self explanatory. Thomas is a preemie and I’ll be walking in support of the March Of Dimes March for Babies, which raises money for preemies and their families. So if you could spare anything, we would be very grateful.

I’m not going to be walking alone. A 14 year old boy named DeVontra has volunteered to walk with me. Devontra is my little brother. I joined the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program while sitting in the hospital with Rebecca waiting on Thomas. This may seem spur of the moment and possibly irrational, given everything that was about to happen and the limited time that I have, but its something I’ve been wanting to do for years. Just never got around to it. Thomas inspired me to finally send the application in and I was matched with DeVontra. He’s a good kid that I think just needs somebody to show interest and be there once in a while. The ironic thing is, DeVontra was a Preemie and also born at 26 weeks. Totally random. There are so many others out there that I've met that just want a friend and a mentor and are just amazing, cool, happy kids. There are a lot more kids who want a big than there are volunteers. Its not a big commitment and it really makes a big difference.

DeVontra and I will be walking 5 miles on the morning of April 18th. So again, if you can throw $5 our way, its going for a good cause, to help children like Thomas and like DeVontra.
I want to apologize in advance as I will probably send this out in an email and also mention it again in subsequent blogs. I'm also sorry to use this blog in this manner, but I wanted to get the word out. If you have any questions, let me know.

Thank you in advance,
Mike

1 comment:

  1. Thomas, Tell Daddy that Nana and Papa are very proud of him.

    ReplyDelete