Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men

Well we're on hold for surgery til next week, Wednesday at 7am to be precise. Scheduling issues with the Surgeon. Fortunately and unfortunately, he's very good and in very high demand. So Thomas gets to chill for a week, pack on the pounds (or ounces I suppose) and count ceiling tiles. Sadly, Thomas can only count to one (maybe), so he keeps having to start over. Fortunately, at this age, he really doesn't have a well developed memory, so he seems really content counting the same tile over and over again.

Close examination of this picture may lead one to believe that Thomas has either a) been wrestling a bobcat, b) started shaving already and hasn't quite got the hang of it or c) scratched himself with his fingernails. Sadly its never one of the interesting options. Thomas is very fond of putting his hands to his face and grabbing hold. He's managed to nick himself several times, but this one is the most impressive.

Much like the rest of Thomas, his nails are growing out of control. And although I see this as an excellent opportunity to go for his first Guinness Book World Record, apparently the "safe" and "prudent" thing to do is not let his finger nails grow and grow until they curl around and Thomas has to be hand fed (which is not any different than now). Of course no one listens to my suggestions. Last night, Thomas got his first (sadly not last) manicure. They filed down his nails to protect him from himself. Mitten orders have been temporarily cancelled.

Finally, totally off the subject, but I will relate it somehow anyway. I like to look for stuff that makes me feel good. Its easy to get down, as I've kind of indicated from time to time here. And even though this is really corny, its got a feel good message, I think. I liked it. I saw this on ABC News tonight, so probably everybody already knows about it. Its from some show called Britain's got Talent. I guess (or do I watch it religiously, and I'm playing dumb) its their version of American Idol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY.

We're hoping for perfection in Thomas, and although we've already impartially declared him cutest baby in the world, every person can't be cute or smart or a talented athlete, but everyone has something to offer, if they're given the chance. I guess, if Thomas reads this at some point, I'd want him to be willing to give people the benefit of the doubt and be confident to take a chance himself. OK, there I go again, getting deep and dumb. Much too late. Must go to bed and rebuild my care free, off the cuff attitude. Say good night Gracie.

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear he has his surgery scheduled and he is getting so big! Still praying every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Thomas file his tax return today? I am afraid he may be on the DHS list of threats to this great country but we know better. He will one day be our President.
    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca-

    I continue to read about sweet Thomas! What a precious little face. We continue to keep you in our prayers and look forward to tracking his continued progress. Much love, amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Thomas, next year Mommy and Daddy will be able to claim you as a 2009 tax "deduction"!! All I can think of is what a cute "addition" you have made to the Elliot family in 2008. No matter how anyone adds it all up, we are so glad you are here and we look forward to seeing you in person one of these days.
    Hugs and kisses from Louise and Rick

    ReplyDelete