Saturday, April 18, 2009

March for Babies Recap

Just got back from the March of Babies Walk. First off, thank you to everyone who donated money for this cause (There's still time to donate http://www.marchforbabies.org/melliot22). As of today you all have raised over $2,600, which is incredible and much more than I expected or could have hoped for.

Today was really great. As a first year marcher and novice, I have many observations and insights that would have enriched my experience, all of which I will try to apply next year. The walk kicked off at 9, with "registration" starting at 8. There really isn't any registration. You could just show up and walk if you wanted, or raise money and not walk at all (which only crossed my mind once or twice). There are a bunch of tents set up, for each of the corporate teams and the unaffiliated families tent. Tip #1: Hook up with a corporation. They've got the best food and coordinated t shirts. The food provided at the families tent wasn't bad, but when you see Uncle Julio's grilling up fajita meat, you get a little jealous. Tip #2: Get cool t shirts made. Obviously if your with a corporate team, they have t shirts, but alot of the families made up t shirts as well. And though my fish tank t shirt is ironic and clever (Thank you Leigh!), I didn't feel like I was really representing as well as I could have been. Tip # 3: Get other people to walk with you. Its a fun event and that's what I'll be doing next year, asking all of you to join us when we walk. We'll get cool t shirts and maybe even our own tent.

I did have a small team: myself, Tra (my little brother who was also born premature), my dad and my dog Charlie. Just 4 guys looking to party! It was a 5 mile walk down one side of White Rock Lake, very pretty, weather was perfect, a little cool, over cast with light rain once in a while. They had some little kids sing the national anthem and then you start walking. There were supposedly 30, 000 people, I lost track and interest after about 6. Some people chose to run and make a competition out of it. You know the kind. I immediately wished I had been one of them. Not that the walk was bad, I'm just not a huge fan of walking. My dad and I are both joggers and Tra is 14, so we did end up jogging some here and there, just to entertain ourselves. All along the route they had little signs with pictures of preemies. I didn't know you could do this, or how to do this, so I'm questioning my qualifications for father of the year (I'll try to make it up with toys and candy, they like that stuff).

Each one was either in honor of a preemie who was doing well or in memory of one that wasn't able to overcome the challenges that faced them. It was a very powerful enforcer for anyone who might not want to keep walking. The one thing that stuck in my head, mostly from the pictures of the babies in memory of, was the hospital blankets. They are always the same, white with footprints on them. I hadn't really thought about them til I saw them in a couple of the pics along the route. They are usually a little rough from constant washing, and I think I'll be happy not to see that blanket anymore.
The rain held off til we finished, grabbed something to eat and got out of there. All in all, it was a really good day. I'm very happy I chose to do it. Tra was really excited to participate and Charlie is worn out.
Thanks again to everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment