Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Three Days, Three Updates

It was a very busy weekend all the way around. Today I will cover the events of Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I'm in Belton and forgot to load the pictures onto my laptop, so there will be no pictures at this time, you'll just have to use your imagination, consider it a theater of the mind.

Lower the lights,
Cue the orchestra,
Draw the Curtain:

Act 1: A Birthday and a Wedding.

Saturday was the big 4 months for Thomas. Really crazy to think that he has been in the hospital for 4 months. I really cannot get my head around that. Just doesn't feel like it, but it feels like forever all at the same time. Happy Birthday Thomas!

As I mentioned before (although not quite enough for Leigh's liking), Rebecca's sister got married Saturday. It was a day of hectic activity for Rebecca and her mom. I wisely snuck away and did a race. I found myself to be not as focused and thought about Thomas, especially during the swim when I realized I wasn't in that great of shape ("Didn't get to train as much as I wanted" goes on Thomas' list). Although there were many phone calls to Thomas' nurses, including at least one at the reception, we both were able to relax and step out of our current responsibilities and pressures for a while. Of course there were many people that came up to us during the weekend to inquire and wish Thomas well. Its always really cool and uplifting to hear that people are following Thomas through this blog, especially when its someone that I may not have met before. So it was a really nice evening for both of us...oh , and Leigh got married and wore ivory. (It was a really wonderful ceremony and reception and Thomas got a new uncle, which he's totally stoked about)

Act 2: Revolving Door at the NICU

Sunday was a big caravan back to Dallas for Rebecca and I, my parents and Leigh and Carlton, who were flying out of Dallas for their honeymoon. So when we got to Dallas, we all headed to the hospital. Where over about 3 hour period Thomas was visited by 3 ghosts, wait, no, different story. Thomas was visited by mom and dad, nana and papa and Aunt Wee and Uncle CaCa. Those aren't official names, I'm just trying them out here to see how they read. I'm going to take this opportunity to bring in a guest author, Thomas' mom. Rebecca has been hesitant to jump on this blog since I'm so eloquent with my wordy phrases and stuff, but she happened to respond to some one's email today and I thought it was a nice summary of the weekend, so I'm going to cut and paste it here. Please enjoy Rebecca's debut:

"Hi Laurie,

It's ALWAYS good to hear from you. I enjoy everything you write. The wedding was absolutely wonderful and everything went according to plan. Thank you for asking. We were definitely able to enjoy ourselves since Thomas was doing so well and our favorite nurse, "Aunt" Tina, was there Friday and Saturday to take care of him. Fortunately, he did not give us the silent treatment upon our return. He greeted us with smiles and a poopie diaper for my sister while she held him. Carlton, my sister's husband got to see Thomas for the first time Sunday night. My sister cried because Thomas looks like a baby that you would take home from the hospital (size wise). She loves his little hands. I sent the pics of Thomas from the past week to you and pics from Leigh's, my sister, Rehearsal Dinner and Wedding. That way you could see her white gown! Hope you are doing well.

Love,
Rebecca :)"

Act 3: Public Awkwardness

Monday evening, it was finally just Rebecca and I after a whirlwind weekend. We went up to the hospital and Thomas was looking as cute as ever. I will dance around this and get to the point as best I can. There are things you do in the privacy of your own home that in the NICU you're not afforded the same alone time. I think I've mentioned before that a NICU has all of the solitude and privacy of Melrose Place (its an old tv show reference, look it up, you'll think I'm funny). Everybody is all up in everybody's business. So there are things that happen that a mother is required to do. You basically have to deal with all that sort of thing cribside. There's no private room. All you get is a folding screen, a blanket and strategic positioning of your chair. Rebecca is very shy and modest and I'm not much different. I will just say, she was not really excited about this, hated it actually. Rebecca wasn't into it and really, neither was Thomas. In typical manliness, I pulled out my MP3 player and went to my happy place. I share this in the interest of giving you all the full experience.

And Scene

Update on Thomas, he's at 5 pounds, 7 ounces. They're adding some stuff to his milk with extra calories (kind of like muscle milk if I can make another training parallel). It also makes the milk a little thicker, like a milkshake. It seems to be working a little better. He's able to drink a little better. They are still taking turns with the bottle and the feeding line.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Rebecca......what great news about sweet Thomas! I am so happy to hear that you had a good wedding weekend with your sister and now, it sounds like you are awaiting Thomas' arrival at home! We will continue to keep him in our prayers and I look forward to meeting him (and your hysterical other half!) in person~

    love, amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Thomas, It was wonderful to see you and hold you. Sorry, we did not figure out the bottle thing, did we? Hope you are more comfortable now and are getting milk out of the bottle now. Love Nana and Papa

    ReplyDelete