Friday, May 1, 2009

Absentee Parents

Rebecca and I have abandoned our son because her sister is so self-centered that she insisted that we go to Shreveport, shower her with gifts and tell her how great she looks in white (I’m assuming she chose white, but she is a little weird, so it could be purple. I’ll let you know after she walks down the aisle). Leigh is getting married tomorrow. Rebecca left yesterday and my parents and I have just left Thomas and our on our way.

We visited Thomas last night and this morning. Last night, my mom and I attempted to feed Thomas, with limited success. In bottle feeding Thomas, they have been going back and forth on which size nipple to use. When he uses a normal size nipple, it gives him more milk than he can handle, so some of it doesn’t make it to its intended destination (his stomach), lots of dribbling and spillage. So they tried a smaller nipple, which does not dispense as much, but Thomas has to work harder to feed. This wears him out a lot.

My mom initially tried to feed Thomas last night and Thomas basically sat there with the nipple in his mouth, not doing anything but smiling occasionally. Clearly he was amused at My mom, the nurse and I trying to coax him to eat. I took over without much more success. Thomas was so tired that, despite the fact that he was sitting straight up, he fell asleep with the nipple in his mouth. I couldn’t wake him at all. I am convinced that he does better with the regular nipple and that much like his dad, he’s just a sloppy eater.

We went by today before we went out of town and the nurse said he’d done a little better with the larger nipple, but an occupational therapist is going to come in at 2 to feed him and I guess determine what kind of career he’s going to have? Seems a little early for that sort conversation, but I’m not the expert here. My money’s on either fireman or a truck.

4 comments:

  1. I love seeing the little smiles he is giving you in those pictures! And how sweet he looks sleeping over his bottle - what a wonderful sight to see after so many months and challenges! Way to go Thomas - keep it up baby boy! You're doing great! (and so are your mom & dad!) Looking forward to seeing you both at Leigh's wedding this weekend! love, Jennifer DeFatta

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is just too cute in these pictures! I'm so happy that you and Rebecca finally get to take him home! Ted and I have been following Thomas and his milestones since Christie sent us your webpage. I can't imagine how nervous you two must be... I know you'll do great! Congrats!!!

    Love, Jen (Nanny Extraordinaire) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those beautiful smiles. We were so happy to here that he was finally able to start taking a bottle. Can't wait for the day he gets to go home:)

    ReplyDelete