Sunday, July 29, 2012

Um...well...that didn't go as planned

 At 2:54am William Michael Elliot was born weighing 3 pounds, 15 ounces.
So, yeah, about that last post.  Scratch all that.  Rebecca started having contractions around 10pm.  The nurses did a number of tricks to try and stem the tide (including sock puppets, magic and juggling), but the contractions got worse and closer together.  Rebecca was in extreme pain to the point where they talked her into taking some pain medication, which hates doing.  The on call resident came in and determined that we weren't going to put off this particular pregnancy any longer.  So, we were quickly wheeled down to labor and delivery and they tried to find a room while they found the doctor and an operating room.  We got in there and Rebecca was really hurting, so they sent me to get some scrubs.  We then realized that the baby wasn't going wait for the OR and everyone started piling into our room. 
It got very crowded very quick.  We also realized that there would be no need for the anaesthesiologist, or a C section, or my witty humor (so I had to issue all of my jokes in my head.  I was hilarious).  The baby was coming so quick that Rebecca had a natural child birth.  And we didn't have to go dumb old Lamaze classes (Pay attention men, its a scam, all I had to do was stand next to Rebecca and hold a fan near her face).  The whole thing took about 30 minutes.  The NICU staff was right there and after weighing him and doing some kodak moments, they whisked William away. 


Now we're waiting to go back up to our closet/room.  The pain meds that Rebecca took earlier are starting to kick in.  She's pretty wiped out, but ok.  Its now 4am, so it doesn't look like I'll be getting any sleep, because the olympics kick up again in 2 hours and I'm not going miss that.  Too bad.  This convertable chair is like sleeping on a cloud.

I think Rebecca will be here for a couple more days.  Not sure about William.  We'll be visiting the NICU in the morning at some point. 
That's all for now I suppose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment