Sunday, July 8, 2012

I growed up


So my wife’s uncle is visiting this week and much like some other folks, has gotten on to me about writing again.  I feel bad because there is so much that I’d like to write about.  I enjoy writing, but life has a way of stealing the time I’d otherwise set aside for this blog.  It has also stolen the time I would otherwise set aside for watching cartoons, playing video games, or mindlessly chewing bubblegum.  Oh well.  I will once again try though, to set aside and hour a week and see where that goes (so, I want to thank you for reading what will likely be my last blog entry…). 

As you may or may not know, Rebecca is having another boy, who she has named William Michael, despite all of my protests and demands that we go with Gunther.  Anyway, the unnamed child is showing up in September and we need to use the crib that Thomas currently occupies.  So Rebecca’s dad had graciously and expertly built Thomas his first big boy bed.  I picked said bed on Thursday and brought it back.  Rebecca and Thomas stayed in Shreveport and returned today (with Uncle Bill of course).  So I moved the crib to its new home and Thomas’ bed in his room.  We’ve been discussing it with him for weeks and the excitement was certainly building (along with a fair amount of trepidation on our part.  Thomas is not what you would call a sedentary individual.)  So everyone rolled in this evening and the big unveiling occurred.  Thomas immediately jumped on the bed and almost as quickly asked to see his old bed.  This gave us pause and concern for the first night. 

Then the moment that only a parent would be bothered by arrived.  As Rebecca was getting Thomas unpacked and prepped for bed, he sat in his new bed and said to her, “I growed up.”  Pretty much heartbreaking.  Really not sure how they keep tricking people into having kids. 

Day 2.  Thomas slept through the night quite well, but woke up at 5:30 and mommy went in to get him resettled.  After some patient rocking, she told him he had to go back to bed.  He begrudgingly climbed in the bed, but was not happy.  She shut the door, waited and heard the pitter patter of little footsteps.  She opened the door back up and caught Thomas at his book case holding a book.  He was “deer in the headlights”, but quickly recovered his poise and walked over to the rocking chair in his room and pushed it back and forth as he began singing rock-a-by-baby.  (Some day, historians will look back on this blog to trace the first indications of his evil genius) So he was herded back into the bed and fell asleep finally.  When he woke up this morning he immediately asked to sleep in his bed again.  So we’re off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment