Sunday, March 22, 2009

Ultimate Hypothetical

So which would I rather do, go to a baby shower or sit in a waiting room in a hospital with significant sensory overload. On the one hand, you have polite conversation, food that I typically don't care for (I'm kind of a picky eater and things like quiche, chicken salad and pettifores just don't do it for me) and the opening of presents that aren't for me and often times are full of diapers and blankets. On the other hand, Saturday at the NICU is popping. I think I have mentioned before that Baylor is Preemie central for north Texas, so they get babies from far and wide. That also means families sometimes can only see there babies on the weekends. That must really suck. We struggle with letting a day go by without at least one of us being there to visit Thomas. We're very lucky to live as close as we do. Anyway, on a typical Saturday, you can get upwards of 5 or 6 families at any given moment, with other children in tow, that are trying to maximize their weekend with their child. On some Saturdays (maybe yesterday, I don't recall) there are 8 children in the room. Let's just say, its loud and leave it at that.

I know, I know, there's just no win in this hypothetical. It just seems cruel all the way around.

I chose the hospital, mostly because it was a girl's only shower and I wasn't invited. There will be a couples shower at some point and I may not be able to hide out at the hospital the next time. And before anyone gets up in arms, I think I have the silent backing of many fathers out there.

Yesterday turned out to be a very long day. The plan was to go up to the hospital at 11:30, sign the release, laser his eyes at noon, see him at 1. Go home at 1:30, my parents go to the airport, Rebecca's parents check in to Che Elliot, Rebecca scoots off to her shower with her mom and her sister (Yes, Leigh was in Dallas! And there was much rejoicing) , I enjoy a beautiful Saturday outside. Sounds like the perfect plan, no?

We rushed up there at 11:30 to sign the release, but we had no doctor and Thomas' nurse had not heard from him yet. So we waited for an hour with no news. It turned out that the doctor had been called in for emergency surgery. False start. So everyone goes home, we make the parental swap, Rebecca goes to her shower and her dad and I sit by the phone and wait. The call comes at around 2. We go up there, go in, see Thomas, doctor arrives 2 minutes after we get there, laser in tow, I sign the release, doctor says I'll see you in an hour. We enter the waiting room and settle into the whirlwind of activity. At 4:30, Rebecca calls because I hadn't called her to tell her things were all done and all was well. Rebecca's uncle came up to the waiting room and gained us a small victory by getting the community tv put onto the NCAA basketball tournament. Rebecca, her mom and her sister showed up as well. We then became one of those families, taking up lots of the room and adding to the background noise.

Around 2 hours into it, we were able to find out that the doctor had finished the first eye and was starting on the second. This was a bit too much for Rebecca, who naturally started to get scared and assumed the worse. The whole operation is supposed to take an hour and we're well into the second hour. After days of worrying about this and making the right decision, it became a little bit too overwhelming. I tried to stick to my philosophy of not worrying about something until someone tells me there's something to worry about. That's just the kind of Rosy, glass half full kind of guy I am. Ignorance is bliss. I think that's why I like cartoons so much.

Finally the doctor came out and let us know that everything went fine and Thomas was good. It took a long time for a few reasons. First and foremost, Thomas is very fair, no pigmentation. That apparently does not help the laser, so it takes a longer time. Because it took so long , they had to give Thomas breaks to allow his vitals to stabilize. In the end all was well. We visited with Thomas for a while. He was still recovering from the drugs, but doing great.

Rebecca and her mom went back up later that night to see him and because Thomas had apnea ed a couple times. This is not uncommon, due to the trauma, the drugs and just being tired. Not very cool though. He had to be resuscitated at least once. Thomas' nurse was able to adjust his settings and he's doing much better.

Very long day...

Footnote:
Rebecca spoke to Thomas' doctor today. Since we had originally elected to enter the study, Thomas' info had been sent down to Houston and he was randomized. It turns out that had Thomas entered the program, he still would have gotten the surgery. Since his information was there, the doctor asked if we would still participate in the program as part of the control group. Thomas doesn't have to do anything else, but his information will help determine if the injections are viable in the future. We made the right choice and Thomas still gets to help.

4 comments:

  1. Mike, you are an amazing writer. Reading your blog, I feel like I am right there in the waiting room with you.
    For what it's worth, I think you made the right decision with the eyes (the safe one with "known" long term side effects). I can only imagine how excruciating your decision process was with no *obviously* better choice)

    Happy belated birthdays to Nana and Papa. My prayers and thoughts to you all.

    Love,
    Aunt Lela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca & Mike,
    Sounds like you guys made the best decision for little Thomas & so glad he came through the laser surgery like the little trooper he is! What a strong little baby boy for only a "three-pounder"! We continue to pray daily for your family of three and send many well-wishes your way. We cannot wait for the day we get to meet Thomas in person and tell him how much we have enjoyed reading about his story on the blog. Grow baby grow! The DeFattas continue to cheer you on! love, Jennifer, Dwayne, Cooper, & Addison

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been reading your blog for weeks here at Dr. Black's office. Every day at lunch Erin will check to see if there is an update and read it out loud to me. We've laughed, we've cried...and we don't even know Mike but he entertains us all the time. Hilarious writing! We've fallen in love with Thomas.Thank you for sharing this piece of your life with us. You can be sure we will all be celebrating the day he finally gets to go home!
    Lots of Love, Alena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rebecca!
    It's Erin from Dr. Black's office in Richardson. I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy reading Thomas' blog. Checking in on Thomas and your family has become a daily routine in the office. Mike has an amazing way of making you feel like part of the family in his blogs. Thomas is absolutely beautiful!!! I'm glad the surgery on his eyes went well. I'm anxious to hear how he has done these last couple of days. I will continue to pray for Thomas and the family. We look forward to when you return the our office(maybe with Thomas).
    Erin

    ReplyDelete