Friday, March 13, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!

Please take a second to wish Papa (my dad) a happy birthday!

So its been another busy week. We're having a tough time adjusting to Rebecca having to go back to work. Its difficult to fit everything into one day, especially now that Thomas is growing and interacting with us. I know for certain that Rebecca would like to hold him for hours at a time.

I believe that much of what we're feeling and going through can be compared to the experiences of any new parents. We're tired alot, there's too much to do. Its easy to get frustrated and overwhelmed. Days and weeks slip away in the blink of an eye. And in the end, nothing matters but your child. I also know that its different for me than it is for Rebecca. She's got a connection with Thomas that will probably one day be a source of anguish for her when Thomas does not put as much care and thought into his well-being as Rebecca. I know I've done that to my mom and I've certainly seen Rebecca do it to her's. So everyone please hug or call your mom and tell them even if you don't agree with them, you really appreciate how much they care.

On to Thomas. Its been a busy week for him as well. Due to construction, Thomas was on the move once again. NICU H is a little on the crowded side and kind of out of the way, but I don't know if Thomas can tell much of a difference. There are one or two roommates that cry quite a bit, so we're hoping Thomas looks down on that sort of behavior and sees that reasoning and mature exchange of thoughts and ideas is the best way to get what you want. In the interest of milestones though, the video above is of Thomas crying, just a bit, and very quietly. I had to get the camera up real close for you to hear him. He does not cry very often and has a really good disposition. I posted two more videos on youtube where Rebecca is bathing him and he is totally cool, just laid back and hanging out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqT3JOALqh0 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRE2jq7eZWA.

Thomas also got an eye exam Monday and there may be some issues with his sight. There's nothing to worry about yet. At some point, they may need to do Lasics surgery (you'd think I'd know how to spell that, since Rebecca is in the eye business). Although there's nothing that can be done about it now, we still spent alot of time worrying about it. Thomas also had another Neuro scan and everything looked really good.

Finally, Thomas' growth is still slow, so he's in a low percentile. Dr. Kwan thinks it will take a few years to catch up, but he doesn't foresee any long term issues. But what's he weigh you ask? Well I'm glad you brought it up. The big, big news is that Thomas now weighs 3 POUNDS! I know! He looks like a sumo wrestler in waiting. He's gained a pound less than 2 weeks. I was going to project out based on that rate, but that joke has been played. I'm all about originality.

We're looking forward to the possibility of Thomas getting off the Sy Pap next week. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Papa's birthday is very happy and special because Thomas has such wonderful loving parents!
    Love
    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rebecca- You guys continue to be in our prayers; sounds like Mr. Thomas is doing well and seems to be a little fighter! I saw his grandmommy (I am sure she has a fancier name than that!) and her sweet aunt last weekend. I was so happy to see them and enjoyed talking to them for even just a bit. Take care and know that we follow Mr. Thomas' blog v. often~

    lots of love, amy

    ReplyDelete