Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Remain calm...All is well

Wednesday evening in Belton (I believe Dallas as well) and nothing really new to report. Rebecca is in full kangaroo care mode every day now. Thomas is getting lots of attention, especially from the nurses. His personality is starting to come out a little bit and I think some of them are smitten. He's also starting to yank on his tubes, so he has to be watched constantly. I'm speculating, but this is both a good and a bad thing. Good because he's starting to use his hands and grip, and maybe even is aware that "hey, there are a bunch of tubes sticking out of my mouth. Probably pretty obvious why him pulling on them is potentially bad, the whole breathing and eating thing. So they have to swaddle him every now and then when he gets particularly feisty. Everything else is status quo, breathing is really good and they are inching back up on the milk (4 ccs every 3 hours now).

Since there isn't a lot new, I thought I'd start The List. The list is documentation of everything really cool that you missed because of your child. I think this is important for every parent to undertake. If your child has already been born, its not too late to start this. Then you keep adding to it through the years and present it to them on their 18th birthday. I believe it will serve 2 purposes: one, to instill the tiniest amount of guilt/gratitude into them (although they won't probably acknowledge it); and two, to make them really think about the importance, challenge and sacrifice it takes to be a parent. So nana and papa, I love you and I'm sorry.

The list so far:

Virginia - Virginia Tech football game
Madonna in Miami (he may have done me a solid there in retrospect)
Christmas in the Sky in Shreveport
New Year's Eve in New York
New Year's Eve in Paris
New Year's Eve in Sydney
New Year's Eve at Mike and Carolyne's (this is where we were always going to go, but the other options were wide open)
The Cotton Bowl (I mean really, did I HAVE to be there for the birth? I was just a bystander)
Disney World
Going to the Super Bowl to see the Cowboys (wait...no...crap, that was someone else's fault)
U.S. vs. Mexico World Cup Qualifier in Columbus

I'll will continue to update the list as needed. I love you Thomas

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely, love this. BTW, missing Madonna should be a good one, the lady puts on a great show, just saying.
    Thanks for sharing all of this, I look forward to knowing each day how he is doing and you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas,
    Some day, when you get this list, be sure to ask your Dad about the summer after he graduated from OL Miss. Seems he spent it at the Navy pool telling friends how he planned to go to graduate school instead of getting a job... some story about being a finance major and there being a credit union scandle.
    Love Papa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas,

    I can't wait to see you this weekend. I am so glad that you have had a good week with your Mommy & Daddy getting to hold you! See you tomorrow - Love, MeAnn

    ReplyDelete